The Best Hair Clippers for Men in 2023
Our Choice of the Best Men’s Hair Clipper
So, which is the best hair clipper for men?
Choosing the Hair Cutting Machine for Your Needs
Clipper or Trimmer
Robustness and easy handling
Hair clippers are a handy tool, but you might find it difficult to use if it’s your first experience. Even the way to hold and handle the machine will make a big difference on your haircut.
So, you’ll have to try it out a few times before you reach the perfect result.
Having said this, it’s important that the hair clipper model you chose is lightweight and has a solid grip. Take into consideration that the ergonomic design allows for easy handling.
Clippers for hair are precision machines which need to be well calibrated, yet at the same time the vibrations from the motor will put this calibration to the test every time you use it. Robustness in any hair clipper is therefore also a very important feature to have.
Make sure that it is not made out of cheap material, even if this means you have to pay a slightly higher price.
Always check the different types of lengths that the blades will allow. There are models that can cut your hair from a minimum of 0.5 mm, however, the minimum size on most models usually starts at 3 mm. This may or may not be enough for your hairstyle needs so it’s always good to verify this beforehand so that you can ensure the hair clipper is capable of producing the results you desire.
Another important factor to look out for is the guard/comb lengths that are included with your hair clipper. In general, the best barber clippers come with various sizes of attachable guards that will enable you to alter the length of the cut as required.
The sizes of these guards may vary between brands, however the good news i that you can usually purchase a set of size guards separately if you need a specific length which is not available with your particular brand of Hair Clipper.
For a more detailed explanation on Hair Clipper Guard Sizes, read this post.
Remember the more variations of length you have in your clipper or trimmer the more versatile it will be. This means you can use it on your hair but also for trimming your beard and mustache (even though if you’re serious about your beard, goatee or any facial hair style you’re going for then we suggest you invest in the best beard trimmer within your budget).
Alternatively you can decide to use it to trim other parts of your body, but once again there are specialised machines for body grooming which would do the job better.
Wet vs Dry
From shaving your face to trimming your head, many brands nowadays offer waterproof versions of their products which you can use directly in the shower.
Not only can this be extremely convenient for cleaning purposes but with these ‘Wet & Dry’ machines you can use shaving foams and lotions applied on the skin when trimming. This definitely makes the cut much more comfortable.
There are quite a few waterproof trimmers on the market and you should decide if this is a feature you’ll need when choosing your ideal hair clipper. Just remember the more the features, the higher the price range and therefore there’s a cost benefit analysis you have to make.
In today’s fast paced world, going to the barber can feel like a chore sometimes, especially if you have to take your kid (or kids) with you. So probably it’s worth your time learning how to cut and style your own (and your kids) hair. Luckily there are a good number of free resources online where you can learn this and other male grooming techniques.
As you can see, there are plenty of variations, so how will you know whether you need the best waterproof hair clippers or the best cordless hair clippers…. and what is the difference between a clipper and trimmer anyway?
Well, your ideal clippers will depend on your personal requirements. So once you decide on the power you require and what type of blade you are ready to spend on then the choice boils down to style, handiness and the functions available.
Having said that, we understand that choosing the best hair clippers for men can be a challenge, given the wide range of brands and models available on the market. To help you make the right decision we’re doing the necessary research for you by reviewing a range of hair clippers, all of which can be ordered from Amazon, which has extremely competitive prices.
The Aussies also know how to chose the best clippers; as can be seen below.
As far as brands go, Wahl, Andis and Oster have been at the forefront of the hair clipper industry for various years, and all of them have a variety of models with slight differences in features. Having said this, some of the newer brands have models which can easily compete with the best of them.
For a full review of these barber hair clippers and many other models of electric hair clippers for men check our hair clippers reviews page.
If you want too see the best hair clippers according to our experts then continue reading as we go in detail on the pros and cons of these 5 trimmers:
The Best Hair Clippers for Men
How to Cut Men’s Hair With Clippers
Now, investing in a decent set of hair clippers is one thing but knowing how to use hair clippers is another story.
It’s good to understand how best to cut mens hair with clippers directly from the comfort of your own home as this can help avoid frequent visits to the barber’s. Many short hairstyles for men can require “tidying up” as often as every two weeks to keep them looking neat and sharp.
If you can master cutting men’s hair at home with clippers, then you’ll not only save the family a lot of extra cash, but you’ll also save the other men in your household time and hassle of having to keep bi-weekly or monthly appointments at the barber’s.
Having acquired some clippers, the next step is working out how to use them like a pro. In this article, we explain what the different blade guards are for, as well as how to cut men’s hair with clippers from start to finish, so you’ll never have to leave home for a haircut again.
Hair Clippers Explained
When you buy your clippers, make sure that they come with a range of blade guards. Good clippers will also come with a brush to help you clean them after use, oil to keep the blades in good working order, and a comb.
The blade guards will help you cut hair into different lengths neatly and evenly. Each blade guard will have a number on it, with the lowest number denoting the shortest cut.
Using the clippers with no blade guard at all will essentially give you a “0” cut, which results in the shortest (barely-there) hair that you can achieve with clippers and without using a razor.
Each blade guard will then add an eighth of an inch until you reach a number “8”, which will cut hair to an inch long.
Blade Guard Measurements
- Number 1 – ⅛ inch (3.2 mm)
- Number 2 – ¼ inch (6.3 mm)
- Number 3 – ⅜ inch (9.5 mm)
- Number 4 – ½ inch (12.7 mm)
- Number 5 – ⅝ inch (15.9 mm)
- Number 6 – ¾ inch (19 mm)
- Number 7 – ⅞ inch (22.2 mm)
- Number 8 – one inch (25 mm)
That should be enough but if you want to understand more details about the different blade guard sizes and what options are available you can read our detailed post here.
How to Cut Men’s Hair With Clippers
Once you’ve established what lengths you want your subject’s hair to be (and, therefore, which blade guards you need to use), then you can follow this step-by-step guide to creating the cut you want.
If you are unsure where to start, you can ask your local barber what he uses for the back and sides, as all blade guards work to universal measurements.
Pro Tip: If you don’t have anyone to ask about which numbers to use, always start with a longer length than you think you might want. Remember that you can always go back over it with a lower number blade guard if necessary, but you can’t undo it if you make it too short!
A Step-by-Step Guide to Cutting Hair With Clippers
This guide will produce a classic men’s cut that is typically described as “short back and sides”, and you can choose how long to leave the hair on the top.
A popular cut uses a number 2 on the back and sides, and a number 4 on the top. The bigger the difference between the two numbers you choose, the harder it will be to blend in at stage five.
Step 1: Wash Hair
Always start with freshly washed hair. Whether you prefer to cut the hair while it’s wet or dry is down to personal preference. When you’re starting out, it may be worth giving both a try to see which you are most comfortable with.
If your subject has curly or wavy hair, however, then it will be easier to cut while wet, as it will be tamer and easier to cut all of the hairs evenly. Your subject’s hair is likely to dry more quickly than you will be able to cut it, so keep a spray bottle of water handy to damp it down again every few minutes.
Step 2: Cover Shoulders
You’ve probably seen many hairdressers and barbers do this over the years. Covering the shoulders of the person you’re about to give a haircut to will save them having to shower again immediately afterward.
In addition to this, you may also want to wear something to protect yourself from all of the flying hairs as they tend to get everywhere.
Step 3: Use the Longest Blade Guard First
Start by clipping the whole head of hair down to the largest blade guard size (for example, the number 4). You should shave in the opposite direction of hair growth.
At the top of the head, this will generally mean moving the clippers from the front to the back, and at the back and sides of the head, you will be coming from the bottom upwards.
Step 4: Scoop the Hair
Next, you would want to take the shorter blade guard (for example, number 2) and shave from the bottom upwards until you reach the area just above the top of the ears.
To do this, start with the blade close to the head and then gently scoop it outwards as you reach the top of the shave line. This will give you a softer cut.
Step 5: Blend the Hair
Once you’ve gone all the way around the head with the shorter blade, including behind the ears, you need to take the blade guard that falls in between the two you have used (in this case, it will be the number 3).
Use this blade guard to blend the hair between the number 2 and number 4 all the way around the head.
Clipped to Perfection!
Learning how to cut men’s hair with clippers isn’t as difficult as it might seem at first. However, familiarizing yourself with the different blade guards and choosing which numbers you need for the result you want will take a bit of getting used to.
If you don’t know where to start, then all it takes is one haircut at the barbers and ask them which numbers they have used. This will save you the trouble of having to test them all out at home!
Follow our simple guide, and you can cut men’s hair at home as often as you please, saving a lot of money in the long run. Just remember to use the clippers in a room where you can sweep up easily, or you can even do it outside to save time when it comes to cleaning up afterward.
Cleaning and Maintaining Your Hair Clippers
Ideally, you will only ever cut hair that has been freshly washed, but even then, hair grease and product build-up can still be present and will cause the small, cut hairs to stick to your blades and the blade guards.
Dirt and build-up on the blades will cause the blades to dull quickly and also interrupt the smooth running of the clipper motor. For this reason, they should be cleaned after every use.
Clipper maintenance is also important to keep your blades sharp and in alignment. If your blades are dull, then they’ll stop cutting hair as effectively. If your blades fall out of alignment, you could end up cutting someone’s head by accident, so it’s best to check their position before using them every time.
How to Clean and Maintain Hair Clippers
Step 1: Tool Up!
Most clippers will come with their own small brush for cleaning, but these can be quite flimsy. You’ll probably achieve much better results with a spare toothbrush and, if you can get your hands on one, a bottle of compressed air.
A deeper clean will also require you to remove the blades from the clippers, so you’ll also need a screwdriver. For maintenance, a well-oiled machine will offer better operation over a longer time and also help to avoid nasty tugs of the hair caused by unoiled, dull blades.
Most clippers will come with a small amount of blade oil, which won’t last you very long. This is why you have to be sure to buy more as soon as you have the opportunity.
In emergencies, you could use olive oil as a one-off, but wipe this away and replace with blade oil as soon as you are able to. Blade oil can generally be purchased from the same kinds of stores that sell hairdressing supplies.
Tools For Cleaning
- Blade oil
- Compressed air (optional)
- Screwdriver (for deep cleaning)
Tools For Maintenance
- Blade oil
- Honing stone
Step 2: Clipper Cleaning
Proper cleaning will require you to remove as much hair from the clippers as possible. Below are some of the ways you can go about doing this. A deeper clean will be needed from time to time depending on how much you are using your clippers.
Method 1: Quick Clean
- Remove the blade guard and set aside to clean separately, either with your toothbrush or a rag.
- If you have a can of compressed air at your disposal, you can use this to blow out hairs from inside the clippers. A couple of short bursts will save you from having to disassemble the blades too often. If you don’t have access to compressed air, you can use your mouth to blow into the clippers to work more hairs loose.
- Using a toothbrush, brush away stray hairs from the outside of the blades, as well as around the sides and in between the blades and clipper body. Work thoroughly but carefully as far as you can get into the clippers.
- Always oil the clippers after you’ve cleaned them using special blade oil. Be sure to let them run for a minute or so to work the oil in.
Method 2: Deep Clean
- Remove the blade guard and wash all of your blade guards in warm, soapy water. Set them aside to air dry thoroughly before packing them away.
- Check your instruction manual for how to remove the blades for cleaning. In most cases, you need a Phillips screwdriver to unscrew the blades from the main body of the clipper.
- Use your mouth or a can of compressed air to blow out any hairs from the main body of the clipper.
- Use a rag to clean all of the hairs from the external clipper body and a brush to clean the front and back of each blade.
- Reassemble the blades onto the clipper body, ensuring that they line up evenly (more on alignment below).
- Always oil the clippers after you’ve cleaned them and let them run for a minute or so, using the special blade oil.
Step 3: Clipper Maintenance
Sharper blades will be much easier to work with when cutting hair. If you can have a sharpening tool or can borrow one, the difference they make in cutting afterward will be remarkable.
Sharpen Your Blades
If you don’t have the right tools to sharpen your own blades, then you may have to find someone who can do this part for you, or find replacement blades. If you do have a sharpening stone, however, this is what you should do:
- Remove the blades from the hair clipper’s main body using a screwdriver, or as per the instruction manual.
- Ensuring that the flat parts of the blade tips are flush with the sharpening stone’s surface, swipe the blade across, applying light but firm pressure. Repeat this eight to 10 times for each blade.
- Reassemble and align the blades (see more on alignment below).
We’ve got a more detailed step by step guide on how to sharpen your chair clippers.
Align Your Blades
You should regularly check that your blades are in alignment. If you are a novice hair trimmer and are cutting children’s hair, then you may wish to set the top blade slightly in front of the back blade so that you don’t accidentally cut their head while trimming.
Children aren’t always the best at sitting still, so this is definitely a safer option if you have a squirmer on your hands!
If you’re looking for better precision cutting, however, then you’ll want the two blades to line up perfectly with each other. To align your blades, you just need to loosen up the screws that hold them in place using a screwdriver. Hold the blades in the position you want them in and tighten the screws.
What you want to do to get a more precise cut is minimize the gap in between the two blades. In fact this is also referred to as Zero Gap Clippers. Take a look at this video tutorial of how you can zero gap any hair clippers easily.
Care for your Hair Clippers and they will give you better Results
Understanding how to clean and maintain hair clippers properly will ensure that your clippers last you for years to come, saving you and your family a lot of money. You should brush away excess hairs and oil the blades after each use to help maintain their integrity.
Again, check that your blades are in alignment before you use them to cut anyone’s hair to avoid accidental cuts. Lastly, sharpen the blades when they need to be sharpened to keep them in perfect running order this will ensure you always get the best hair cut.
As you can see each Clipper is unique in its own way and what is right for you may not be ideal for another person.
Having said this, numbers don’t lie and therefore if you’re still not sure that the clippers you are about to purchase is a grade A clipper that won’t let you down in the long run is to run through the Amazon’s top sellers and check the customer feedback.
Let’s take a look at the current top-selling 10 Hair Clippers sold on Amazon sales. This list is updated daily so it includes the most recent customer reviews and prices, as they say, the people have spoken!
- Titanium Ceramic T-Blade: This professional beard trimmer is made of titanium ceramic with high density, nanoscale accuracy and perfect...
- Quiet Strong DC Motor: Built-in a strong rotating copper core DC motor. 6500r/min in a full speed model 30% faster than other hair clippers. The...
- Portable Type-C Charging: The hair cutting kit comes with a powerful rechargeable battery and a dedicated Type-C charging cable that can be...
- Cordless Men's Nose/Ear Trimmer: A man's face is his statement; Our patent pending 360 degree beveled blade system is great for close trimming of...
- Portable and Powerful: This cordless men's trimmer has a unique 3 bevel blade for close ear/nose trimming and comes with a detail trimmer and...
- Respect The Ritual: Don't crack under the pressure to look good; ConairMAN has beard trimmers, home barbering kits, electric shavers and more for...
- Gaines, Edward (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 300 Pages - 05/20/2019 (Publication Date) - Independently published (Publisher)
- 【Professional T-Blade Trimmer】- Designed with high quality, long lasting, high carbon enhanced, self-sharpening precision stainless steel...
- 【Powerful and Durable Motor】- The beard trimmer men has a powerful rotary motor for increased speed and do not get stuck in the hair....
- 【Waterproof & Low Noise】- Low vibration, ultra-quiet design, noise less than 60dB and let you away from the noise. Note: The cutter head can...
- Professional hair clipper: 5 degree adjustable blades from 0.5mm to 2.5mm.Complete with 5 guide comb attachments(...
- T-blade trimmer: Complete with 4 guide comb attachments(1/3/5/7mm). Use for crisp, clean lines，fading short haircuts and sharp edges with zero...
- IPX7 Waterproof/ 100% waterproof: This clipper & trimmer kit is fast and easy to clean. Simply rinse the blades under running water for quick,...
- Cordless Convenience – Color Pro Cordless is rechargeable and wireless. Cord/Cordless allows you to use the clipper on battery or when it's...
- Color Coded Guide Combs – Finding and remembering everyone’s favorite hair length is easier than ever. Corresponding the correct comb to the...
- Hygienic Grooming – Since our blades are removable and rinsable they are easy to clean. Simply run them under water to wash away excess...
- Click the hair trimmer to activate it
- Make your device vibrate and it will be like a real hair clipper
- Professional Barber Blade: The hanging head is made of carbon steel , sharp and efficient in cutting. Easy haircut without hair jam, R-shaped...
- Complete set of attachment guards: 3 standard length limit combs respectively 0.5mm,1mm,1.5mm. Length as you want, suitable for a variety of...
- Cordless USB Rechargeable Mini Hair Clipper: High-Capacity Lithium Battery, full charge in 2h, can deliver strong power up to 120 mins of...
- 【Multi-Functional Grooming Tool Kit】Deal with whole-body hair removal/trimming tasks from hair, beard, nose and ear hair to other body hair...
- 【90mins Charging, 120mins Discharging】Charging is fast and convenient to finish in 1.5hrs via the USB C cable. Discharging is more...
- 【Sharp Blades, Painless Hair Removal】Stainless steel self-sharpening dual-edge blades feature extra sharpness and precision for instant and...
- 【CORDLESS&CORDED】 Hair trimmer can be with cord or cordless which is super convenient for self-cutting. Universal charging - One full charge...
- 【3 Gear Strength Adjustable】Gently press the side power button to start the machine.The indicator above the short symbol of the gear...
- 【13 pcs Mens Hair Clippers Grooming Kit】 This is a complete barber sets for cutting hair, which includes a electric hair clipper,cape,...
There are various brands that manufacture some top clippers, but picking the best mens hair clipper for you is a personal choice that depends on your hair type and style. If none of the above seem right for you then check out the full list of our reviews here. You’ll find all the information to make the ideal choice based on your requirements, budget and level of expertise.
From the most popular brands and models, like the Andis Outliner and the Wahl Groom Pro who produce industrial hair clippers that are easily affordable for home use, to lesser known brands like the very modern and elegant Trym ii or the Hausbell brand, and even the more exclusive high-end models like the Panasonic ER-GB80-S, whichever type you’re looking for, we will review them all.
Last update on 2023-02-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API