Finding the best electric shaver for men can be tricky. It’s not a one-size-fits-all kind of product. If only electric shavers were as cheap as disposable manual razors, then you could switch from brand to brand every time you feel the razor isn’t perfect for the job.
Unfortunately, the initial cost to buy electric shavers can be high, with the the more expensive models running into hundreds of dollars.
The upside though, is that if you’re lucky enough to choose one that fits your hair type, shaving preference, and skin type, then you won’t need to buy any other razor for a long time.
If you’re planning to buy the best electric shaver suitable for your needs, then don’t go by just mere luck. Explore what options you have and consider your shaving needs, before checking out electric shaver reviews.
First thing's first. Let's take a look at the current top-selling 10 Electric Shavers based on Amazon sales.
- Cordless Or Corded Use - Enjoy flexibility and convenience with the ability to shave cordless or corded. Plus, a 5-minute quick charge function...
- 60-Minute Cordless Runtime - Get up to 20 days of shaving between charges. Washable - The shaver easily washes clean under the faucet.
- Charging Time: 2 Hours
- MicroComb technology. Catches and feeds more hair for a faster shave
- Triple Action Cutting System, 2x SensoFoil, Middle trimmer
- You can use the Series 3 ProSkin with water, foam or gel for even better gliding and a smoother skin feeling
- Comfortable, easy shave. The Shaver 3100 gives you an easy and convenient shave with more comfort for an affordable price
- Comfort Cut Blade System- Rounded edges move smoothly over skin for a protective shave. Can be used corded and cordless
- 4-direction Flex Heads- Heads flex in 4 directions to easily shave every curve of your face and neck
- Braun Series 7 is a smart shaver that reads and adapts to your beard
- 4 synchronized shaving elements shave in one stroke what others do in two*. *Proven on a 3 day beard. IPI research institute, February 2015
- Innovative Sonic technology helps capture even hard to catch hair with 10,000 microvibrations
- DualPrecision heads are designed with slots and holes to quickly and comfortably shave both long and short hair
- A great gift, the shaver's Aquatec Technology allows you to shave wet with gel or foam for extra skin protection or dry for convenience
- For best results, replace shaving head every 12 months with SH50/52 replacement head
- 2 IN 1 Multi-Functional Electric Razor----for shaving beard, sideburns.The 3D rotary shaver with precision blades of upgraded double-blade technique...
- Waterproof/Wet and Dry-----The whole body of this electric shaver is washable, allows you a comfortable dry shave or a refreshing wet shave with...
- Upgraded LCD Display/One-key lock ----- Charge Indicator/Battery capacity/charging state of the battery is displayed in percent/Low battery...
- Electric razor is the 4-blade, dual-motor shaving system with precision-honed 30° angle Nanotech blades for maximum durability and sharpness
- Powerful Hyper Performance Dual Motor which features a linear drive that delivers 14,000 cuts her minute - that's 56,000 cross-cutting actions per...
- The Panasonic Arc 4 Multi-Flex pivoting head enables the men's electric shaver to glide smoothly along the individual contours of the face, chin, neck...
- The world's only 3-action alcohol-based Clean&Charge Station hygienically cleans, charges, and lubricates shaver so your shaver feels like new every...
- 5 pressure-sensitive shaving elements for efficiency and skin comfort.
- Specialized Micro Comb capture more hair in each stroke.
- 【Quick Charge】This new generation electric razor charges up fairly quickly and keeps the charge through many uses,a efficient mens electric razor...
- 【Smooth & Close Shave】This 3D rotary shaver can adjust heads automatically according to every curve of your neck or face,the rotary and flexible...
- 【Detachable & Washable】Mens electric razor support Dry and Wet application.Feel free to apply shaving cream before shaving without worrying about...
- Wahl Clipper is the #1 brand of beard trimmers and hair clippers*. The brand used by professionals since 1919
- Wahl LifeProof Shave Rechargeable lithium ion wet / dry water proof foil shaver with shock resistant housing for shaving, trimming, and wet or dry...
- High impact, shock resistant, dual foil rechargeable lithium ion waterproof shaver with popup precision ground trimmer best for shaving, trimming and...
Types of Electric Shavers
While King Gillette introduced the conventional safety razors in 1903, it was Jacob Schick who invented and released the first electric shaver in 1931. Unlike old school razors that work with direct blade-to-skin action, electric shavers use a gentler approach thanks to a scissor-like cutting action.
There are two main types of electric shavers – rotary and foil. Both use foils as cover for the blades. Both work exceedingly well. The difference lies in the technology each type uses and how it will affect your shaving routine and hair type.
Electric Rotary Shavers
Rotary razors are named after their spinning/revolving action. It features three blades, which are covered by spring-suspended foils.
Electric rotary shavers are designed to follow the contour of your face. When you move the shaver across your facial area in a circular motion, hairs enter the foil via a thin layer of metal (mesh) that covers the blades.
The rotary cutter then quickly slices off hair without pulling from the roots. The most popular rotary shavers come from Phillips, under the brand name Norelco.
Electric Foil Shavers
Unlike rotary-types, foil shavers use only one razor and the mesh covering the blades are much thinner because titanium, platinum and stainless steel that are commonly used in this type of electric shaver are much smoother, and in turn, results to gentler shaving.
In foil shavers, the foil captures hairs through the tiny holes and several cutters swiftly until it cuts off hairs. When you press the shaver closer to the skin, hairs are forced to rise and are cut even before they grow out to the skin surface. Braun and Remington are the most popular foil shavers.
What Electric Shaver Should I Buy?
Consider these 5 things before buying an electric razor:
1) Rotary vs. Foil – Rotary shavers aren’t necessarily better than foil shavers, and vice versa, but your decision mainly depend on personal preference. Choose a rotary shaver if you have course or thick hair that tend to grow in various directions. Rotary shavers are ideal for people who don’t shave too often and aren’t after a close shave.
On the other hand, foil shavers are better for people who have fine or straight hair, who prefers a more precise close shave, and those who shave every day. This type of electric shaver is able to shave straight edges exceptionally well, so those who trim sideburns would love foil shavers.
2) Hair and skin type – Do you have curly or course hair? Or are your hairs fine and straight? Is your skin sensitive to close-shave razors, or is it prone to razor bumps? The answers to these questions are very important and should be considered before investing your money with any electric shaver.
Those with sensitive skin can get irritated with dry shaving, so if your skin requires prepping with lotion or other moisturizers, then choose a shaver with wet and dry capability.
3) Special features – Not all electric shavers are made equal. Various features like cleaning system and attachments provide additional comfort and ease-of-use.
- Power source – Many of the cheapest electric shavers need to be plugged in to work. Cordless shavers are travel-friendly, but they cannot be used while charging. Some models are rechargeable and can be used while plugged in for charging.
- Comb and trimmer Attachments – Modern electric shavers usually come with a pop-up trimmer, allowing you to continue grooming without the need for other accessories. Some models also include a comb attachment ideal for shaving goatees.
- Built-in Moisturizing – Norelco developed its Moisturizing Shaving System, where lotion is dispensed at the back of the razor to lubricate your skin before cutting off hairs.
- Charging features – If you’re always in a hurry, look for an electric shaver with quick charge As a guide, fully-charged havers should be able to last at least 45 minutes for each shaving session.
If you hate being unable to finish a shave due to low battery, find a model with a charge display or battery level indicator, so you could charge it before it dies out.
- Self-cleaning – You’ll definitely feel your investment’s worth with self-cleaning shavers. Some higher-priced razors come with a cleaning station, which does the job for you simply by placing the shaver onto the base unit. This requires refill of cleaning fluid or cleaning cartridge replacements.
4) Shaving routine – Your personal shaving routine should also be considered when choosing the type of electric shavers to buy. As we’ve mentioned above, those who shave daily are suitable for foil-type razors.
If you’re used to shaving in the shower, choose battery-operated electric razors. If you prefer shaving with lotions, foams or gels, look for a waterproof electric shaver with wet and dry capabilities.
Those who require a close shave should go with foil razors, since these razors can get as close to the skin’s surface better than rotary-style razors.
5) Price – Electric shavers with many special features can be quite expensive. Additional expenses in maintaining electric shavers include replacement of foils, heads, or blades every year. Those with course or thick hairs should expect to replace parts more often though.
Make sure the brand/model you choose is covered under a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you could return the item if you experience problems while testing it out for a month. In addition, double-check if the electric shaver you want to buy has a two-year warranty, since this is the standard warranty length in the industry.
Our Pick for the Top 3 Electric Shavers in 2018
Braun’s series 3 is our pick for budget electric shavers.
The series 3 has five models to choose from: 390cc-4, 380s-4 Wet&Dry, 350cc-4, 340s-4 Wet&Dry, and 320s-4.
- Why it’s Special: The Braun series 3 models may not be the newest electric shavers in the market, but they offer a closer shave and better cuts-per-minute than the Braun series 1.
- Two of the series 3 models – the 340s and 380s shavers – are wet/dry models, while 390cc and 350cc are made with an auto-clean system called “Clean and Renew,” which cleans the shaver head in alcohol automatically.
- Pros: All models in the Braun series 3 are affordable. They are all 100% washable and waterproof. They feature a triple-action cutting system, double foils, and an integrated middle trimmer for smoother shaves and a more precise styling when it comes to your beard, moustache and sideburns.
- Cons: The Braun series 3 is an older series – compared to series 5, series 7 and CoolTec shavers – so the technologies offered in these shaver models may not be as updated.
Check Braun Series 3 Price and specs here.
This model comes from the Arc4 series and is capable of wet/dry shaving. It is equipped with the 4-blade ultra-thin foilcuttingsystem with 30-degree nano blades.
- Why it’s special – The Panasonic ES8243A electric shaver cuts through hairs at 13,000 cuts-per-minute. It has a built-in pop-up trimmer, so you don’t need another accessory for trimming, and a pivoting head that makes shaving hard-to-reach areas easier.
- Pros – Panasonic’s ES8243A stands out because it works perfectly well for those who prefer a really close shave every time. It is also ideal for those with sensitive skin, since the technology behind this model prevents razor burns and bumps. The battery has also been known for lasting longer than other shavers.
- Cons – Since the Panasonic ES8243A is cordless, you can’t use it while charging. Many users find the blades to be quite sharp, so beginners may experience occasional cuts. Another issue is that replacement blades for this model are more expensive compared to other shavers.
- Click here for price and further details.
The Best Electric Shaver: Braun 7-790cc-4
If we had to pick just one model out of the hundreds (and more released each year), we have to go with Braun Series 7-790cc-4 Electric Foil Shaver with Clean & Charge Station for the best electric shaver for men.
Braun’s series 7 has several models, all of which are equipped with the most advanced Sonic Technology, but the Braun Series 7-790cc-4 stands out for its features and price.
Read The Full Review Here
- Intelligent Sonic Technology – The Braun 7-790cc-4 is equipped with sonic technology that adapts to the user’s facial contours, density of your hairs, and shaving routine. How cool is that? Its 10,000 micro vibrations per minute capability not only ensures you leave with the least hair as possible after every shave, but it also saves you plenty of time.
- 3 Shaving Modes – Additional personalization options let you choose ‘Extra Sensitive,’ ‘Normal’ and ‘Intensive’ models to fit everyone’s shaving needs.
- Active Lift – For anyone who has difficulty shaving flat-lying hairs in hard-to-reach areas, the Braun 7-790cc-4 solves this problem via its one-of-a-kind oscillating middle trimmer that lifts and cuts problem hairs at 130 movements per second.
- Smart Ergonomics and OptiFoil – The Braun 7-790cc-4 is designed with a pivoting head and floating cutting parts, which gives an exceptionally close shave. Plus, its OptiFoil ergonomically-designed foil holes ensure that more hair – even deeper ones – are reached and cut off.
- Clean and Charge station – The Braun 7-790cc-4 has an alcohol-based cleaning system that renews your system with only 4 steps. With a touch of a button, the shaver is cleaned, charged, lubricated and dried – all within an impressive 25-second session.
Pros: Aside from the highlights listed above, the Braun 7-790cc-4 is entirely waterproof. The 3.6V Li-Ion battery-powered shaver charges in an hour and work both as cordless and corded. Other must-have features that this model has include:
- Precision trimming – It comes with a trimmer for beard grooming
- LCD display – It shows battery level and hygiene status, so you know when to recharge and clean your system.
- Impeccable Operation – The biggest advantage of Braun 7-790cc-4 against its competitors is the quality of shave since the result has been praised for the closest quality of a razor shave. It also operates pretty quietly, so if you’re sensitive with noise, this model wouldn’t be a problem.
Cons: The biggest disadvantage of the Braun 7-790cc-4 is its price. This unit also requires refills for the Clean and Renew cartilages (about 4 refills a year).
We do think, however that the features of this magnificent machine far outweigh the price you pay for it.
To Sum it all Up…
If you’re looking for the best electric shaver for men and prefer to skip the research, we can fully back up the Braun 7-790cc-4 and its amazing close shave capability and several advanced technologies.
However, it is always best to do a little research on your own, and check out electric shaver reviews to see your options and make an educated purchase. After all, buying a quality shaver that can meet your shaving needs is an investment that you won’t regret.
Last update on 2018-03-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API