Have you even wondered if you should be using your own hair clippers to trim your pet?
You may have a hair clipper or trimmer in your bathroom cabinet and decide what’s the harm in using it on my dog?
Well today we’re going to see why that’s not such a good idea.
Dog Clippers vs Human Clippers
Dogs; well all animals actually, need a specialized set of grooming tools for trimming that is quite different from those used by humans.
The razor blades used for men’s hair clippers are different from those used for animals.
At first glance, both men’s and dog hair clippers may look the same, but there are subtle differences that will make a big difference on the end result obtained.
Human hair clippers are electric clippers and don’t come in manual anymore. The blade teeth on these clippers are very close to one another to cater for the fine hair found on humans.
If used on dogs or other animals with thicker and coarser hair you may end up ruining your clippers and more importantly causing discomfort or pain to your pet.
Apart from this, the normal men clippers do not have enough speed to enable them to easily pass through the thick hair found on animals.
So, the main difference is that human clippers are to be used on lighter hair while animal hair clippers are tailored for the heavier and thicker hair found in most pets, especially dogs.
Dog Hair Clippers and other Animals
We therefore recommend that you use specially designed dog clippers for dogs.
These type of clippers are usually made of stronger metal and the blades are sharper. Also the motor behind the clippers is stronger and faster.
All these factors contribute to the higher prices you usually have to pay to obtain a specialised dog hair clipper as opposed to the one you might have at home for personal grooming.
The design of the blades found within the clippers is also different, since they For the latter, they are designed to cut easily thicker hair found in animals.
The lengths of the blades and the clipper guards of animal clippers is also different from the human versions. This is because the shorter blades found on men’s clippers can’t penetrate tangled hairs.
Here’s a list of the current top selling Dog Clippers from Amazon
- Built-in Li-ion Batttery. Rechargeable dog trimmer with built-in Li-ion battery is good for exceptional flexibility. It can also be used when charging...
- Safe and Sharp Blade. Upgrade stainless steel fixed blade and ceramic moving blade can provide excellent cutting performance. The blade sharp enough...
- Low vibration and ultra quiet design.The noise when working is only about 50 db, to help the pet feel at ease, not afraid cut hair any more.
- Complete Kit for Pet Grooming This dog clippers include 6 guiding combs (3/6/9/12mm, left and right) for length control, stainless steel comb and...
- Safe and Sharp Clipping Blade Sharp stainless steel and ceramic blade, easily trim through all kinds of pets hair
- Washable and USB Rechargeable Large capacity lithium-ion battery, can be charged via USB cable anytime and anywhere. Can get washed under water tab...
- 【ALL-IN -ONE】This dog grooming clippers also come with 10 tools: 1 × Pet clipper( included Battery),1 × AC Power Adapter,1 × Cleaning Brush,4...
- 【SUPER QUIET 】 Pet clippers for dogs with Precision motor, low vibration and ultra quiet design, free it from work noise with only about 60 db, to...
- 【CORDLESS 】Light weight and cordless design for easy use. The pet grooming kit is equipped with a charger. Charging for five hours, pet grooming...
- Ergonomically designed non-slip handles are strong,lightweight,and comfortable.
- Sharp blades are made of high quality stainless. Unlock protection prevent children from using it.
- Free Hidden Nail File conveniently stored in handle will allow you to polish sharp nails to perfection.
- DESIGNED FOR PET’S SAFETY FIRST - Our dog clipper has a protective guard to shield your dog’s nail from "over-trimming".
- CREATED BY TWO VETERINARIANS WITH 30 YEARS EXPERIENCE - tested by us everyday on pets
- ERGONOMIC AND RUBBER-COATED HANDLES - Easy grip non-slip handles for a comfortable grip and ensuring a safe nail trimming experience
- RECOMMENDED BY PROFESSIONALS: The Boshel pet nail clipper is an ergonomically designed Powerful and easy-to-use pet grooming tool, the nail trimmer...
- CLEAN CUTS EVERY TIME: The pet nail clippers are made out of high quality 3.5 mm thick stainless steel sharp blades, it is powerful enough to trim...
- USER FRIENDLY DESIGN: The professional dog nail clipper is designed to keep you comfortable while grooming your pet at home, it features comfortable,...
- [ 2 Blade in 1 Set ] Wide Blade for thick coats. Narrow Blade for hair around paws, rump, face, ear, beard and mustache.
- [ Detachable Safe & Sharp Blade ] Moveable ceramic blade fixed titanium blade effortlessly glide through heavy coats. Sharp and easy-to-clean.
- [ Low Noise & Strong Power ] Q-SUS Low-Noise-Tech lowers the noise less than 60db. Adopt silver Pd-alloy 3 speed motor, heavy-duty and durable.
- 【Detachable Titanium-ceramic Blade】Our dog grooming clipper is a new type of 33 teeth titanium-ceramic blade combining with the ceramic movable...
- 【Low Noise & Low Vibration】Usually a part of pets get stressed and uneasy by the sound and the vibration of the pet clippers. But our pet grooming...
- 【Powerful & Long Use Life】Heavy-duty gear for proper powerful cut, with stable and steady control. This dog hair clipper provides substantial...
So, it is clear that if you wish to trim your dog’s hair yourself you should buy the appropriate tolls for the job.
Having said this, we do recommend you leave this job up to professionals who really know what they are doing.
Dog’s will get agitated even from the sound of hair clipper and it is very difficult to manage to trim a dog’s hair if they are not stable and under control.
You may cause alot of discomfort and potentially hurt your dog.
So if you’re not 100% sure then best leave it up to professional dog groomers to do the job.
Last update on 2020-11-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API