Have you even wondered if you should be using your own hair clippers to trim your pet?
You may have a hair clipper or trimmer in your bathroom cabinet and decide what’s the harm in using it on my dog?
Well today we’re going to see why that’s not such a good idea.
Dog Clippers vs Human Clippers
Dogs; well all animals actually, need a specialized set of grooming tools for trimming that is quite different from those used by humans.
The razor blades used for men’s hair clippers are different from those used for animals.
At first glance, both men’s and dog hair clippers may look the same, but there are subtle differences that will make a big difference on the end result obtained.
Human hair clippers are electric clippers and don’t come in manual anymore. The blade teeth on these clippers are very close to one another to cater for the fine hair found on humans.
If used on dogs or other animals with thicker and coarser hair you may end up ruining your clippers and more importantly causing discomfort or pain to your pet.
Apart from this, the normal men clippers do not have enough speed to enable them to easily pass through the thick hair found on animals.
So, the main difference is that human clippers are to be used on lighter hair while animal hair clippers are tailored for the heavier and thicker hair found in most pets, especially dogs.
Dog Hair Clippers and other Animals
We therefore recommend that you use specially designed dog clippers for dogs.
These type of clippers are usually made of stronger metal and the blades are sharper. Also the motor behind the clippers is stronger and faster.
All these factors contribute to the higher prices you usually have to pay to obtain a specialised dog hair clipper as opposed to the one you might have at home for personal grooming.
The design of the blades found within the clippers is also different, since they For the latter, they are designed to cut easily thicker hair found in animals.
The lengths of the blades and the clipper guards of animal clippers is also different from the human versions. This is because the shorter blades found on men’s clippers can’t penetrate tangled hairs.
Here’s a list of the current top selling Dog Clippers from Amazon
- Built-in Li-ion Batttery. Rechargeable dog trimmer with built-in Li-ion battery is good for exceptional flexibility. It can also be used when charging...
- Safe and Sharp Blade. Upgrade stainless steel fixed blade and ceramic moving blade can provide excellent cutting performance. The blade sharp enough...
- Low vibration and ultra quiet design.The noise when working is only about 50 db, to help the pet feel at ease, not afraid cut hair any more.
- 【Detachable Titanium-ceramic Blade】Our dog grooming clipper is a new type of 33 teeth titanium-ceramic blade combining with the ceramic movable...
- 【Low Noise & Low Vibration】Usually a part of pets get stressed and uneasy by the sound and the vibration of the pet clippers. But our pet grooming...
- 【Powerful & Long Use Life】Heavy-duty gear for proper powerful cut, with stable and steady control. This dog hair clipper provides substantial...
- ★QUIET MOTOR AND LOW NOISE - The clipper is made of high-speed and quiet motor. The working noise is lower than 50db. It makes your pets feel easy...
- ★RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES - Rechargeable clippers can make it flexible for you. It is no problem to use when charging, don't worry, and it is safe and...
- ★SAFE AND SHARP BLADE - It is suitable for the most skin-friendly grooming experience, and thanks to the precision-cut titanium blades, there's no...
- Cool and quiet running ,Voltage - 120 Volts
- Perfect for all coats and breeds.
- Detachable blade design for ease of changing and cleaning.
- Versatile pet grooming clippers with two-speed switch.Two Speed motor Hi - 2,700 SPM, Lo - 2,100 SPM
- Great for precision and general-purpose grooming
- Detachable Size 10 CryogenX blade included
- Cordless or Corded Convenience – Easy Pro is rechargeable & allows for either corded or wireless operation; provides full non-stop clipping &...
- Hygienic Grooming – Our detachable blades are easily removable which makes them easy to keep clean; simply remove the blades, & run them under water...
- Self-Sharpening Precision Blades – Provide snag-free cutting, our high-carbon blades remain sharp for smooth grooming that creates a pleasant...
- The original 5-in-1 clipper, the Wahl ARCO is the tried-and-true cordless option for precise trimming in hard-to-reach spots such as ears, faces, and...
- The 5-in-1 fine blade adjusts between sizes #9, 10, 15, 30, and 40, offering a convenient variety of cutting lengths
- With a rechargeable battery, this clipper has an 80-minute cordless run time and 75 minute charge time; it's easy to clean with a no-maintenance motor
- Powerful, rotary motor clipper for complete animal grooming
- Variable, 5-speed clipping
- Detachable blades for easy changing and detachable blades for easy changing and cleaning
So, it is clear that if you wish to trim your dog’s hair yourself you should buy the appropriate tolls for the job.
Having said this, we do recommend you leave this job up to professionals who really know what they are doing.
Dog’s will get agitated even from the sound of hair clipper and it is very difficult to manage to trim a dog’s hair if they are not stable and under control.
You may cause alot of discomfort and potentially hurt your dog.
So if you’re not 100% sure then best leave it up to professional dog groomers to do the job.
Last update on 2021-10-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API