There’s a right way and a wrong way how to shave your balls and any part of your body really.
You need to know the right way, especially when it comes to shaving the most complicated areas of your body. Anyone who tried it knows that sometimes it can go horribly wrong!
Most men will shave their face and nothing else. It never even crosses their mind to shave their balls, chest, armpits any other part of their body, but for others it is definitely a must.
Men like me, (I look like the Neanderthal man from the ‘March of Progress’ poster) realize at some point in their life that they just have to keep all that manly body hair groomed and under control.
Shaving Tips from the Ultimate Experts
I have picked up the best shaving tips for different parts of the body, starting from the genitals, since this seems to be the number one problem area when it comes to shaving, for men.
Think of this post as ‘the ultimate guide to body shaving for men’… Brag much?
OK, I admit, I might be tooting my own horn and whatnot, but this guide really is quite useful. I mean its got video clips. What more do you need!
Don’t worry, I haven’t taken a shot of myself shaving my groin area, or anything like that.
Instead I took my sources directly from the experts themselves; and who knows more about this stuff then the people at Gillette?
For heaven’s sake they’ve been studying and perfecting tools for this fine art for over a 100 years. Way back when Mr Gillette himself invented the first safety razor.
Before we get to the juicy part however, I need to debunk the main myth with regards to shaving, which is … ‘if you shave your body hair it is going to grow back extra thick’!
That’s not true.
It may seem that way because depending on the way you shave, the hair grows back a little different, so it seems a little rough. That’s it.
So, just because you shaved a small patch on your back does not mean that you will end up with a full back of hair once it grows again. If this myth was stopping you from giving body shaving a go, then please reconsider your options.
The fact it that shaving is the cheapest and only pain free method out of all the options available for eliminating body hair. It’s definitely less painful then waxing or laser hair removal, beleive me, I’ve tried both.
…. or just look at these suckers.
The Downside of Body Shaving
The disadvantage of shaving when compared to other methods is that it is a very short term solution.
So, if you decide to start shaving your chest, or any other part of your body, then you will need to keep at it on a regular basis. It will need regular maintenance.
On the other hand waxing gives you a good 2 to 3 weeks of hair free skin, while laser treatments, even though much more expensive, produces the longest lasting results and possibly permanent reduction in body hair.
- Rechargeable OneBlade can trim, edge, and shave any length of hair.
- Trim it down - click on combs for a fast and even trim in all the right places
- Edge it up - dual-sided blade for precise edging to line up your style easier than ever before
- Gillette’s first men’s body razor—built for grooming male terrain (you may call it manscaping)
- Rounded head designed for total body comfort
- Gillette razor blades with 3 lubricating strips for outstanding glide
- Gillette’s first men’s body razor—built for grooming male terrain (you may call it manscaping)
Best way to shave your balls
In order to make this article as easily digestible as possible I’ve split it in sections depending on the area of the body you will be shaving.
Feel free to skip to the section you’re interested in, or if you’re planning on doing the whole shebang then read on till the end.
So, let’s dive right into it.
How To Shave Your Balls
Taking the decision to start shaving your pubic hair is easy. Actually doing it, is a whole other story. Not only are you putting your precious family jewels at risk here but any mistake can hurt so bad.
Having said this, you definitely need to practice some type of manscaping down there.
So, in this section we’re going to see how to shave your balls.
What is the best way to shave your balls?
If you’re going to opt for a clean shave (Porno style!) then you might want to follow the below shaving steps very carefully.
Before you start, you need to prepare for the task at hand.
Preparing for the Shave
First off make sure your razor is new. A new razor, ideally with three or more blades is much sharper and works best.
If you don’t want to buy a new razor for each shave, then take care of the razor you’re going to reuse. Dedicate one razor specifically for your pubic hair and clean it thoroughly after use. Do not store it still wet as the water can accelerate corrosion of the blades.
Now I would recommend investing in an electric body shaving razor. These are built and designed specifically for grooming male terrain. Thanks to their rounded head and lubricating blade strips, they will easily glide over the different contours of your body.
I personally find the Philips Norelco OneBlade to be the best product for my needs.
- Rechargeable OneBlade Pro can do it all: Trim, edge, and shave any length of hair.
- Shave any length: Not as close as a traditional blade so your skin stays comfortable.
- More advanced than the original OneBlade, this OneBlade Pro features a powerful Li-ion battery and 12 length settings.
This is by far the most popular product on the market, and for good reason, however their are plenty others that can get the job done. So browse around, test them out and stick to the one which is ideal for you.
Second; when it comes to shaving the groin area, positioning is vital. You don’t want to be collecting your pubic hair from all over the bathroom. It will get everywhere. You especially don’t want any house guests to find your random pubic hair.
I like to sit over the toilet, more precisely, straddle it, so that the hair falls directly in the toilet.
Finally, another very common mistake people make, is going directly to the shaving part.
Do not make this mistake, it will damage the razor and worst still, cause you a lot of pain. So, your best bet is to follow the following steps in the exact order.
Step 1: Trim the pubic hair
The groin hair should be as short as possible, since razors are designed to cut short hairs. Long hairs easily clog the blades.
Now you can choose to shorten the hair with a scissors or use a body trimmer before you actually start shaving your balls.
To cut, pull the hairs towards the outside, away from the body, and with a pair of scissors reduce the length of the hairs to around 0.6 cm.
I completely understand if the idea of using scissors so close to your balls makes you nervous. Instead, maybe you can try trimming the area using an electric precision body trimmer.
If it’s the first time that you’re thinning your private parts, then we suggest you do this a couple of days before moving on to the actual shaving itself. This will give you time to get accustomed to the new sensation.
Body Trimmers have become very popular nowadays and are in high demand. We suggest you go for the branded names since these produce some excellent body trimmers that are precise and also waterproof, which means you can easily do the job directly in the shower.
Here are three of the most popular body hair trimmers that can be purchased online from Amazon.com.
- Groin, Body & Back - OLOV trimmers were designed for below-the-waist grooming but work great on your not so private parts too! Our Trimmer’s...
- Special Care/Benefits - Soft black ceramic blades featuring advanced technology, performing well when it comes to groin hair, the armpit area,...
- Waterproof - It's easier to trim in the shower, as the water washes away your trimmings, makes it easier to cut Back hair/Chest hair/Pubic hair....
- Bi-directional trimmer seamlessly cuts hair in both directions
- Integrated skin protector guards your skin while you trim
- 1/8" comb comfortably trims longer hair
- The bodygroom has unique rounded blades that help protect sensitive areas and reach hard to reach places. With a unique two sided design, you can...
- This Bodygroomer has 5 adjustable lengths and an ergonomic grip to give you full choices on your style and comfort.
- This two-sided Bodygroomer can be used wet or dry giving you the freedom and comfort to choose what best suits your styling needs.
As you can see Philips seems to have cornered the Market in this area.
Step 2: Soften the hair follicles
Next step is to prepare the skin and hair for the actual shave.
Start by cleaning the area to be shaved. This makes shaving of pubic hair much easier. It may seem a superfluous step, but trust me, it will make the process more comfortable and practical.
Ideally you do this by taking a shower or hot bath. The heat and humidity will soften the hairs and open the pores, allowing for a deeper and more comfortable shave.
The concept here is to try and achieve the sauna effect. Have you ever tried shaving your face stubble after a sauna session?
Let me tell you. You’ll get the closest shave of your life. That’s because the pores are really open and the hair is extremely soft. Now, I’m not suggesting you go to a public sauna and then set off to the men’s showers to shave your genitals. That would probably get you kicked out of the gym/spa.
So, unless you have a private sauna at home, then a hot shower or bath will give you similar effect. Even better, you can achieve the sauna effect by applying a moistened, hot towel, on the skin for ten minutes or so.
Now you want to apply some form of shaving cream or gel. The cream prevents irritations.
Here’s a tip that can save you from an uncomfortable situation. Before using creams or gels for the first time on the groin area, try them on other areas of the body to see how your skin reacts. This will help you prevent any allergies down there, if your skin does not agree with that particular shaving gel.
The purpose of the cream or shaving gels is to form a protective barrier between razor and sensitive skin. Regular soaps are not suitable because they dry out the skin and will cause irritation.
The top 3 Cleansers for men sold on amazon.com are the following;
- PERFECTLY PLUMP SKIN – Revive the firm, glowing, and gorgeous skin from your youth with this Collagen Firming cream! Collagen returns skin to...
- SKIN LOVING INGREDIENTS – Nourish your skin with Bloom’s Collagen Face & Body Firming Cream that is full of skin-loving ingredients....
- HYDRATION AT ITS FINEST – Tired of lotions that leave your skin dry after only a couple of hours? Skin stays exquisitely hydrated hour after...
- THE BEST ALOE VERA MOISTURIZER FOR FACE AND BODY IN A GENEROUS 8 OZ CONTAINER! This rejuvenating face cream and body cream is derived from 100%...
- ONE GAME-CHANGING PRODUCT THAT LASTS SEVERAL WEEKS: Use as a daily facial moisturizer, night cream & dark spot cream for face. Outstanding eczema...
- ALL-IN-ONE SUNBURN RELIEF, ROSACEA TREATMENT FOR FACE & BODY & ECZEMA CREAM! Aloe Vera sunburn relief is a known benefit, but Aloe Butter takes...
Step 3: Begin Shaving
So, once the preparation steps are done, you’re ready to begin the actual shaving process.
At this point you must understand the effects of the following two shaving options:
1. shaving in the direction of the hair growth will avoid irritation and avoid ingrowing hairs;
2. shaving against the direction of hair growth will ensure a deeper and smoother shave.
So which way should you shave?
Well, this depend on your skin sensitivity. If you have super sensitive skin then shave in the direction of hair growth, even if this will not give you the most perfect results.
If you want a real close shave, then shave against the grain.
To understand which way the hair grows, do not try to determine this by just looking at the hair. You need to feel the growth of the hair.
Now, with one hand pull the skin so you get a flat surface and with the other gently start shaving. Move the razor slowly and follow the direction of the hair growth.
As already mentioned, a razor built specifically for the body shave, like the Gillette Body Razor, will allow for a clean cut from many different angles. And believe me, you’re going to be cutting from a lot of different angles in this area.
Now, I like to shave the tipped area first, just because I get that done and then I can work the area around it
Gently take smooth and even strokes, and then once you’re done, work towards the outside area and make sure you’re keeping the skin nice and taut.
Always pull the skin where you can and just work the area around until you’re satisfied with the results.
Make sure you’re rinsing out the razor regularly when you’re shaving and if you feel any tugging or pulling, then most likely it’s time to change the blade.
The more sensitive your skin is, then the more important it is that you do not shave the same area over and over, more than necessary, (ideally just once or twice), otherwise you risk inflaming the skin.
If you’re just starting out shaving, you will notice that if you shave your private parts for two days in a row, you’ll get scratches and redness.
I therefore recommend you let a few days pass between shaves, at least until the skin gets used to this new process.
Step 4: Shaving the ball sacks
To prepare your balls for the blade, start by splashing them with cold water. This will tighten the skin making the surface of your sack easier to shave.
Now apply some cold shaving cream to help keep things tight (I like to chill the shaving cream slightly in the fridge before).
The best way to shave your balls is to use short gentle strokes. Halfway through the job make sure to rinse them so that you’ll be able to see the bits you’ve missed, then reapply more shaving cream and finish the job.
Step 5: Rinse the shaved area and Moisterize
Once you’re satisfied with the results, rinse the shaved area generously with hot water and remove any cream residue.
Dry off the area with a towel. Don’t scrub; just pad the area until it feels dry.
Now it’s time to moisturize. I actually like to use baby oil or Aloe-Vera gel to protect and sooth my skin in this particular area after the shave.
Grab the moisturizer and put a blob on your hand first. Now apply it on the shaved area.
Moisturizing is very important. A lot of people feel like that’s a step that you can leave out, but I completely disagree.
It’s an important step in the shaving process because it will help avoid any type of dryness or flaking. Plus, it just helps calm and comfort the skin.
- Immediately soothes your shaved skin
- Helps protect skin from dryness and shave irritation
- Provides long-lasting, intensive moisturization
- Inhibits Hair Regrowth | Moisturizing body lotion specially formulated to inhibit hair regrowth with regular use
- Soothes & Hydrates the Skin | Apply this anti bump aftershave following a no!no! Thermicon hair removal treatment to feel a cooling sensation and...
- Reduces Hair Density | Capislow, a plant-based ingredient, is specially formulated to reduce the density of body hair, making it easier to remove...
- Anti-irritation, for sensitive skin
- Menthol refreshes and revitalizes
- No parabens; No silicons; No mineral oils; No artificial colors
You’re all done, that’s the five step process for shaving the groin area, and remember as the following clip mentions When there’s no under-bush, the tree looks taller.
If that’s not a good enough reason, then did you know that removing the hair from your balls will make them look more impressive. This’s because anything that’s light tends to look larger.
Whaaat? …. Where’s that blade!
Should I Shave my balls?
When you decide to go down the body shaving path, in general, you need to consider why you’re doing it. If it’s to feel cleaner, look better, or just to impress the girls.
These are all good reasons, however don’t base all your grooming choices just on what you think women want.
There are all types of women out there with many different preferences so take their opinion into consideration, after all they will see you naked, with or without shaved balls and all!
Sometimes though looking good is not always the most practical option. If you’re going to shave the groin are, for example you must be sure to keep it smooth and under control because when the hair starts growing back after a few days those prickly bastards can get quite uncomfortable for your partner during sex.
So talk to your partner before grabbing the razor. Also don’t be afraid of making a grooming faux pas.
Sure your partners might burst out laughing when they look at you but remember the hair will quickly grow back and you’ll get to try out new styles in no time.
We would love to hear your thoughts and recommendations. Hit us with a comment below.
Last update on 2022-09-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API