Looking for the best beard trimmer for your needs? Then you've landed in the right place.
Here's our table with the top rated beard trimmers.
Before we dive into the detailed reviews however, let’s take a step back and understand what you should be looking for when choosing the ideal trimmer for yourself.
As a guy trying to, or already growing a beard, there are some important things you need to do to ensure you grow a beard in the correct way, so as not to give up before your masterpiece comes to life. Even though it sounds contradictory, one of those things is trimming your beard.
And the easiest way to do so, is to use a beard trimmer. Note that we're talking trimmers here and not electric shavers which will get you all clean shaven.
There are a lot of trimmers in the market and thousands of brands are coming out each day.
So how do you make a choice? How do you pick which one is perfect for you and will last for a long time?
Well, this is what we're here to help you with, but not only that. We will be showing you why you need to trim your beards, how to properly trim your beards, what you need to look out for when making a purchase and finally a review of the top 5 beard trimmers.
Why you need to trim your beards
Yes I know… you want to grow your beards and not cut it!
So why the hell will i even suggest you cutting them in the first place.
The simple truth… it works
During the early stages of growing your beard, there is a constant menace that you have to deal with and that’s our not-so-good friend called “The Itch”
It’s something we all have to pass through on your journey to getting that awesome beard that you want and you know you deserve.
Now, there are some people who can simply power through the itch and come out winners at the end of the day.
Others, like me… Naaa
That’s where trimming comes into play. It releaves a bit of the itching. Also trimming helps to keep your beards tidy and looking neat especially during the early stages when your beards are looking patchy and without direction.
How to properly trim your beard
Properly trimming your beard require a bit of skill and finesse. When done right it can leave you feeling like a million bucks.
But when not done properly… well that’s a story for another day.
Here is a short video showing you how to do this properly.
Tools you will need
- A beard oil or moisturizer for making your beards soft
- A beard brush for untangling your beards
- A scissors for precise detailing
- A beard trimmer for doing the actual job; and here are our top 5 choices. We get into more detail on each one of these later on in this post. However take note at the quality reviews they all have from previous customers.
First you need to use the comb and comb out your beard hairs. This helps to untangle your beard and straighten the hairs out.
Next use the beard trimmer for an even cut. To make things easier for you, start with a higher guard setting, like number 4. This helps to give an even and smooth trim.
Make sure you fade your neck and your cheeks. As you start to move towards your neck and chin, you want to reduce the clipper settings to smaller sizes for effective use (you can check out what the different clipper guard numbers mean here).
One area you should not forget is your mustache.
After all the trimming is done, take your scissors and finely detail all parts. Use your scissors and go over each part carefully to ensure that all parts are smooth.
Finally take your beard oil or moisturizer and give your beards a smooth shine.
Some tips to remember when trimming your beards
Make sure to completely dry your beards before trimming. This way you can get a better idea of how it looks when you are done.
When trimming your chin and under your neck, make sure you stretch your skin so as to properly reach all areas and have a smooth trim.
Invest in a good and quality beard trimmer.
Things to consider before buying a beard trimmer
By The power, we mean the torque of the trimmer. Simply put you want something with a lot of power in it.
This is because you will be able to get as many hairs as possible in one pass.
This is extremely useful because trust me there is nothing as frustrating as going over your beard hairs without seeing any result.
So make sure that whatever you get has some power in it.
What is the battery life?
Another thing you want to make sure you ask about is the battery life of the product you are getting. This is extremely important because you want to know how convenient it is for you.
For example, a longer battery life means that i do not need to be bothered about constantly charging it or making sure it is always plugged.
With a long battery life, i can be sure that it is ready to be used whenever I want it.
What is the price?
One thing you need to know is that you get what you pay for. This simply means that you can’t expect a 20 bucks beard trimmer to do the same thing as say a 200 bucks product.
When it comes to making a choice, it is better to spend a little more and get something that will serve and last for a long time.
Corded or cordless?
This is actually related to the point i mentioned above...talking about the battery life.
You want to find out if the product has a cord or it is cordless. While both of them have their advantages and disadvantages, it is advisable to go for a cordless beard trimmer.
This is much convenient and offers much more practical value.
The Top 5 Best Beard Trimmer for 2019
So now that we have covered all that let's take a closer look at the top rated beard trimmers according to us.
1. Philips Norelco Multigroomer MG5750/49
- All-in-one trimmer for face, head and body styling: 18 pieces for all your trimming needs
- Maximum precision with DualCut technology includes 2x more self sharpening blades that remain after 4 years of use
- Lithium battery delivers 3 hours of cordless run time, or use while plugged in for continuous use
The Norelco range from Philips are very popular and cover both beard and hair trimming. The Philips Norelco HC7452/41 7100 hair clipper, for example, is one of the most popular models on the market.
The Philips Norelco Beard Trimmer does not fall short, and is an excellent choice for both beard and stubble trimming.
It comes with an integrated vacuum system which helps in collecting the hair as you trim making the place mess free and very tidy.
With 20 built in length settings you can easily adjust for any beard length that you have to deal with.
It also has 18 secured length settings ranging from 1mm to 18mm so you can be sure that this bad boy is capable to deal with whatever beard length it comes across.
The Philips Norelco comes with a turbo power boost button which helps to increase the cutting and fan speed of the product making your cuts easier and faster.
This is one beard trimmer that is very portable and lasts for a very long time.
Designed to be used both as a cord and cordless product, you can count on it for quick and easy trim every time.
- It can be easily washed and cleaned
- It has a long battery life
- It has a turbo power button
- When fully charged, it does not last for a long time.
- Expensive. This baby will cost you 4 times as much as the rest of the trimmers in our list.
While it is really much more pricey then its competitors, if you're serious about your beard and you can afford to dish out the money for it, then we do recommend you invest in this beast of a machine. Come on treat yourself, you know you want it.
2. Wahl Lithium Beard Trimmer All In One Grooming Kit
- BEARD TRIMMERS: Wahl beard trimmers provide a smoothly precise trim, so you can get the beard style you want. Choose from a variety of guide comb...
- COMPLETE HAIR CUTTING KITS OR SINGLE TOOLS: Whether you trim your hair between trips to the salon or barber, need beard or nose hair trimmers, or a...
- A SMOOTH CUT EVERY TIME: Wahl clippers & trimmers are available in a variety of styles to meet your home hair cutting needs. From Lithium Ion cordless...
This is a beard trimmer that comes in a set with other accessories such as 3 beard guides, ear and nose detailer, dual foil shaver and 3 combs
It has a powerful lithium battery that can last for 10 hours. This is very useful when you consider how convenient that can be especially if you are someone that is always on the move.
It has a unique feature called a 5 minute quick charge and a 1 hour full charge. What this means is that if you need a quick boost in power, all you need to do is to plug and charge it for 5 minutes and you can use it for your trimming.
This is also very helpful for convenience sake.
It has 6 length settings from 2mm to 12mm making it very good for both stubble and full length beard trimming.
It also has a cord which is used for charging the battery but most times this is of no use as the battery really lasts for a very long time.
- Long lasting battery
- Can be charged quickly
- Smart LED for easy use
- Immense power and torque
- It’s power comes with some vibration and noise which most people might find annoying.
3. Panasonic Beard, Moustache and Hair Trimmer
- The award-winning Panasonic ER-GB70 electric beard, mustache and hair trimmer for men uses a durable, ultra-sharp 45 Degree angle stainless-steel...
- Quick-adjust Panasonic trimmer dial and two comb attachments provide 39 precision settings for personalized sculpting, trimming, cutting and...
- Ergonomic beard and hair trimmer is designed with a rubberized grip for total comfort and control; the beard trimmer for men cleans in seconds under...
The Panasonic All in one beard trimmer is one of the fan favorites in the market today.
It has 19 trim adjustable settings. This is very useful because you can be sure that whatever your beard or stubble length, this beard trimmer can effectively deal with it.
It has the option of either being used as a cordless product or plugged in for charge
It comes with a set of durable and very sharp blades that are angles at a 45 degree angle. This helps to deliver quick and efficient cuts whenever you use it.
The quick adjust dial helps you to easily select whichever setting you need.
The handle is designed to provide maximum comfort and style when used for a long time.
One unique feature about this product is that it can be used for a wet or dry shave. This is extremely useful if you are someone that likes to do your trimming in the bathroom while taking your bath.
It is also very easy to clean up. All you have to do is place it under running water and wash away all accumulated hair.
It’s high efficiency AC charging system makes sure that your product is fully charged and ready to deliver whenever it is needed.
It is very portable and can be easily carried along in a bag for easy and quick transportation.
- Can be used in wet and dry situations
- It has quick adjustment dials
- Can be easily cleaned and maintained
- Comes with rechargeable batteries
- Might take a very long time to charge initially
4. Remington MB4045B Beard and Stubble Trimmer
- 120-minute runtime-the power of lithium delivers 120 minutes of high performance cordless cutting after just a 4-hour charge
- 3 length combs-full, tough, and under control, the xl-length trimming comb keeps your rugged beard in check, two other combs handle the shorter jobs
- Zoom wheel-just lock in and go, the zoom wheel quickly adjusts the position of the trimming combs, holding them securely at the desired length,
This is a product that can easily serve as both a beard and stubble trimmer.
It comes with a lithium powered battery that gives it maximum battery life and lasts for a very long time… about 120 minutes when fully charged.
It’s blades are titanium coated giving it long lasting durability and very sharp for precise cuts.
One thing about this product’s blades is that they are self sharpening and self oiling making them very convenient and easy to use.
It has 9 different length settings which makes it very easy to groom a variety of beard and stubble lengths. It also comes with three attachable heads - beard, stubble and goatee. This makes it very easy for you to choose when making your trims.
It comes with a cordless and powerful motor that gives it the required torque to make clean cuts easily.
Backed by a two year warranty, this is one product that is sure to continuously provide excellent service to you for a long time.
- Titanium coated and self sharpening blades
- Long lasting battery
- Comes with a two year warranty
- Some users complained that it does not last for more than a year.
5. Braun BeardTrimmer BT5040
- Lifetime sharp blades for even beard trimming & hair clipping
- Precision dial & 2 combs provide 39 length settings from 0.5 - 20mm in 0.5mm increments
- Li-ion+ battery for 150%* longer running time. Corded and cordless use *vs. previous model BT3040
Choosing a beard trimmer for use is something that you need to do if you decide to start growing a beard, and the sooner you do it the better so your beard can start to take shape properly.
What you need to do is to make sure that you go with products that have been reviewed by actual users and that is exactly what we have done with this buyers guide.
Pick one that has all the attributes you are looking for and start giving your beard that trim it needs.
Last Updated on
Last update on 2019-05-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API